I'd check the contacts on the sleep actuator, first. I really don't have any 1400 experience, but I did that with my 190 and it worked.

As far as not caring about 1400s, I never really had a reason to, but I've never owned one, so.. I did get a new laptop for my birthday, so that part's accurate... In my case, a PowerBook G3 Lombard... Gotta love the 'Books.

Hope this helps a little,
Caleb