Andy Fragen said:

>I'm not really sure why a smart folder, which should have a different
>icon, need be any different than a regular folder in function. In other
>words, double click it and it opens in another window. Is that somehow
>not similar to incorporating smart folders into the RMB?

Not necessarily. Things could be made more useful. For starters can smart
folders not be something more than "saved self-updating user settable
searches"?
Smart folders would need to be in a different *default* place not to
confuse some people, not necessarily newcomers.
The confusion would be over whether what to expect to find in these
folders. A certain amount of people would - even if they set them up
themselves - expect that things they'd seen there would always be there,
even if the settings didn't support it. Because that is how people expect
folders to work. Also, most likely people would have a few to many 'smart
folders' and the folder listing would grow with these in addition and
move the "real" folders further down (if smart folders defaulted in the
upper region).

One example that the GUI can confuse, also myself, because of reasonable
expectations on the GUI and what is shown, is that I had initial problems
the first weeks of use (in 2003 with v. 3) with having no indication of
when I had "Show Only Unread" active and thought for days that the
messages disappeared. This is not a unique experience.
As another example I have mentioned the fact that the search dialog
doesn't indicate what kind of "words" that are not possible to find in
the index, something that would still confuse myself had I not been on
this list. I know many are not confused being unaware of the limitations
and when they come into play to affect the results they see (Note that
I'm not saying that searches have a big problem. It only affect certain
searches, not all, but the search dialog doesn't indicate the limitations
with indexed searching)

One elegant solution would probably be a search tab, that would contain
user saved searches as well as the Recent Mail Folder (user tweakable I
imagine and with the same shortcut as usual).
 From there the user could drag the virtual smart folders to the regular
folder listing, perhaps only as aliases. So having the Recent Messages
and other 'smart' folders should be able to put in the folder view, but I
think it's vital that this placement *isn't the default*.
"Tabs" do have momentum to a much larger degree than 'smart folders' and
would keep as a *default* the 'virtual folders' (built-in and user-
definable) *separate* from the actual email message catalog, which the
browser is now displaying.
Don't you people that use the RMW and think it should be in the folder
view also think that search result windows in separate windows is an
abomination too? I think it would be neat and useful to store searches of
all kinds under a specific tab, rather than all over the place. It's a
more organized solution. Personally I don't suffer much having search
results windows all over the place though.

Another solution would be folding the smart folders, like in the Finder
list view, but I think that's not as good solution. I'm not getting into
why here.

I'm sure, if the usability goals can be defined of what users need and if
CTM agrees those features should be implemented at some point, that even
better solutions can be found. I don't think Apples iApp solutions (in
the interface & functionality areas discussed) are totally on the spot
nor are they unique and seldom firsts too. They do give user expectations
though, but even if the workings of specific features and details are
used in another developed app, it's not necessarily wrong to further
improve things. If nothing else, to avoid getting sued on copyright
infringement.

"(Steve) Jobs has told interviewers over the years that, in a fast-
evolving industry like computers, you can't just "give people what they
want" because people don't necessarily know what they want -- and what
they tell you they want today may not be what they actually want at the
end of the two years it takes you to build it to their specifications."
--Wired Magazine

PM 5.2.3 Swedish | OS X 10.3.9 | Powerbook G4/400Mhz | 1GB RAM | 30GB HD