<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Before importing in File Maker Pro I took a look at the generated files
>(while still using Traditional Chinese) in Tex-Edit, Word, Text-Edit
>and the Chinese looked as plain garbage, while the Latin Words were
>fine.

I am not sure what encoding is used by default when opening a text file
with these applications when the system language is chinese; you may need
to force the encoding. With TextEdit, make sure "traditional (or
simplified) chinese (Mac OS)" is selected in the open dialog.
If you see correct chinese text in TextEdit when forcing the chinese
encoding, then you probably need to force FMP to use this encoding as
well, but I don't know FMP enough.

Jérôme - PowerMail Engineering

   "Compared to Apple's Mail, PowerMail is more responsive, more
    straightforward for novice users and more versatile for advanced ones."
  PowerMail user comment on www.versiontracker.com

         Download a demo version from www.ctmdev.com