I have now (apparently) successfully setup my PM database as Marlyse
suggested. This does indeed appear to work, both Mac can access and use
the database. Thanks for the tip.

I found that PM displayed a warning about the Address Book not being in
sync with the Apple Address Book when I first accessed the shared
database, but Resyncing them solved the problem. However, I only allow PM
to update its own Address Book from the Apple AB and do not allow it to
update information in the Apple's AB. (I have given up on getting the PM
Address Book to sync correctly with the Apple's AB if PM is allowed to
try and update Apple's AB.) Since I use iSync to maintain the same
Address Book and iCal calendars on the two Macs, this was not a problem.
If you have different ABs on the two machines, this use of a shared AB
might cause problems if you sync the PM Address Book with Apple's.

BTW, have other list members experienced a two-week lul in messages from
the PM list?
--
Mark Smith, Osaka, Japan.
<http://www2.odn.ne.jp/hab26240//footy/grampalog/index.html>