I was trying to select PM 4.1.3 for my default mail and to startup on login,
but I was getting repeatable crashes.  Now I have a terrible problem.

I went online to an IMAP box for my spam mail box [ storing spam for a
Baysean filter]. There are several hundred messages there, and PM failed in
midstream with a UID Fetch Error. I had to force quit the program.  I tried
to restart with factory default prefs in the dialog, but Now whenever I
restart PM it fails to open with this error:
"An error occurred while opening user's files
File permission error."  It was working before the force quit.
How do I restore this if possible to working order?

Later I tried to remove preferences.
If I remove prefs from the User folder, everything disappears: messages,
addressbook, folders, etc.

Jeff