C. A. Niemiec [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 stated:

>>I did reformat/reinitialize the disk. But I doubt the data is
>>erased by this. The procedure takes a few seconds -- it should
>>take longer than that to erase some 50+ Gb of data.
>
>If it only took a few seconds I would hazard the entire disk surface
>wasn't completely initialized or reformatted ("zeroing" all the data).
>From when I used Norton Utilities the "Unerase" utility that scanned the
>entire surface looking for anything to restore was the right tool for the
>job. The "FileSaver" utility was helpful in this process, keeping a
>separate record of where things were and what they were supposed to be,
>but you had to have enabled it and been using it before the disaster.

If you have Norton Utilities, I would try that option first. Somebody
mentioned Drive Savers, this company does wonders saving/recovering the
data. However, they don't work cheaply. Apparently their big loss leader
is the IBM microdrives (1 GB Type II CF card), which will still run you
$150.00. ¥

Wayne

--
All human rules are more or less idiotic.
- Mark Twain

Live DAT & Music Page: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/
PowerMail AppleScript Archives: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/powermail.html

Music Currently playing: