I am not the expert you seek, but with the right disc utility you may
have been able to recover some data if you had only erased it since the
computer believes the memory space is free, but data is still written
there.  With initialization I think you set bits to zero which may really
prevent you from a recovery.

If what you nuked was something you really need you might try a service
company like <http://www.drivesavers.com/>.  I've seen them on TechTV and
they certainly seem to be able to work some magic.  I have no idea what
it would cost...  can't hurt to call.

Good luck!

--

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

  - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson