Hi everybody and thanks for your concern and suggestions with my fatal
disk initialization. I've tried 4 different apps, and nothing helped.
I've now given up.

I tried (in order):

TechTools Pro 3
Norton Utilities
Data Rescue
DiskWarrior

Perhaps the result had been better, if I had tried them in another order
or at least skipped Norton  (which I was thoroughly warned about outside
this discussion list) altogether, but we will never know.

If interested, below is a message from Tech Support at MicroMat (which do
TechTools Pro) in this issue.

Thanks again for your time and concern.

As far as I'm concerned, the subject is now closed.

Best,
Max G