I hear you on this one.  The attachments folder is a nice concept, but
since I just switched over I have well over 3000 items and renders using
it via the finder very difficult.  I have already run through and killed
many similar and obvious dupes thanks to rounds of revisions on work for
clients over the past few years.  Multiple folders, filtered by rule
would be great though I would still have a great deal of manual labor
ahead to file all this stuff.

--
Information isn't wisdom. Information isn't learning. If information
were learning, you could be educated by memorizing the world almanac.

 - David McCullough, author/historian, in INC. magazine, May 2000