>However, some HTML-messages end up as attachments only, which is a big
>problem IMHO.  Some problems with this:
>
>? The PM built-search index won't contain the data as it's only
>available in an external file. Thus, information in these attached files
>won't turn up in any searches.
>? The information is fragile. If the external file is moved or deleted
>only an empty message will be what's left.
>? The information can only be read, copied and treated in the web
>browser, which is quite inconvenient.

I would envision an HTML importer that would squeeze the content of
".html" attachments sans tags into a message that would be indexed and
placed in the database as normal (heh, as a "normal" message).

ala:

Mail > Import HTML attachment as text

... and a corresponding action for filter purposes. If message is [ not
evaluated as spam || from sender in address book || etc ], make a plain
text part from HTML attachment.

>? It's likely that forwards or redirects will keep the message as
>attachment only, which will expand the problem to users of other more
>HTML-capable email clients.

Forwarding with attachments -- didn't think of that.

>>Would this really take more than some regex?
>
>Why? It's much better to let an HTML interpreter do its stuff and use
>the result, which is text after all (and media obviously, but that would
>have to be scrapped I think). Which is what PM does now.

For PowerMail to create a tagless, plain text version of the HTML part
would take more than regex? Or take the results of the HTML interpreter
and make plain text of that? Same end: text I can select from within
PowerMail for quoting or whatnot.

I guess my point was I wouldn't have to use/look at the HTML interpreter
unless the conversion ended up too scrambled. I honestly don't get
enough HTML messages to know how often this would be.

Chris