On   Friday, November 21, 2008,   Derry Thompson   sent forth:

>Jeremy Hughes at [EMAIL PROTECTED] said on Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:43:56 +0000
>
>>I tried that a while back, and it wasn't a good solution.
>
>Ahh. Ok.
>>
>>In any case, I don't want bigger and bigger databases. I want separate
>>databases for each email folder (like in Apple Mail). It's fine if these
>>have a 2 GB limit. What isn't fine is a single monolithic database with
>>a 2 GB limit.
>
>Yep, agreed.

I agree, almost.  Having a 2 GB limit per account somehow implies that
email will be distributed normally between all accounts.  What about the
situation of 1 account getting, say, 90% of the email?  How does having
separate databases per account help there?  How about the case of a
single account?

The method I thought they should have pursued is that used by
Thunderbird, combined with archiving:  every parent folder has a
database of 4 GB.  A "parent folder" refers to folders such as "Inbox",
"Sent" and so on.  That implies that each account could have multiple 4
GB databases.  The size limitation per database doesn't really matter
under this method; it could be 2, 4 or any number since the email is now
split into much more manageable chunks, especially given most users'
desire to filter their mail into many folders.

Add archiving to that and you got a permanent solution with almost
limitless growth up to the size of your hard drive.   In the interim,
archiving by itself is an excellent solution.

--
Tim Lapin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]