When my computer locks up like that, it is almost always because the
network is trying to find something that isn't available, like an alias
to a volume that is not on-line.

My first suggestion would be to create a new user account on this
computer, set up PM on that new account (be careful that this new
account does NOT delete mail from server!), and see the delay goes away.
If it does, search through your preferences, or throw out your
preferences and start over.

Best I can think of....

Stéphane Terreaux (steph...@terreaux.net) said on 1/7/09:

> [...]
>                        300 GetOrPeekEvent
>                          300 ToolboxEventDispatcher
>                            300 SendEventToEventTarget
>                              300 SendEventToEventTargetInternal
>(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>                                300 DispatchEventToHandlers
>(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>                                  300 ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler
>(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*)
>                                    300 SendEventToEventTarget
>                                      300 SendEventToEventTargetInternal
>(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>                                        300 DispatchEventToHandlers
>(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>                                          300 StandardWindowEventHandler
>                                            300 HandleMouseEvent
>                                              300 HandleWindowClick
>                                                300 SendEventFromMouseDown
>                                                  300 SendEventToEventTarget
>                                                    300
>SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*,
>HandlerCallRec*)
>                                                      300
>DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>                                                        300
>StandardWindowEventHandler
>                                                          300
>HandleWindowEvent
>                                                            300
>HandleClickAsHIView
>                                                              300
>HIView::Click(OpaqueEventRef*)
>                                                                300
>SendEventToEventTarget
>                                                                  300
>SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*,
>HandlerCallRec*)
>                                                                    300
>DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>
>300 HIView::EventHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*)
>
>300 HIView::ClickSelf(OpaqueEventRef*)
>
>                                     300 HIView::ClickInternal(CGPoint
>const&, unsigned long, void (*)(OpaqueControlRef*, short),
>OpaqueEventRef*, bool)
>
>                                       300 HIView::NotifyControlHit
>(short, unsigned long)
>
>                                         300 SendControlHit(HIView*,
>short, unsigned long)
>
>                                           300 SendEventToEventTarget
>
>                                             300
>SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*,
>HandlerCallRec*)
>
>                                               300
>DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*)
>
>                                                 300
>LHIToolbarItem::StaticCustomToolbarItemDelegate
>(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*)
>
>                                                   300
>LHIToolbarItem::CustomToolbarItemDelegate(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*,
>OpaqueEventRef*)
>
>                                                     300
>LHIToolbarItem::PerformAction(short)
>
>                                                       300
>LCommander::ProcessCommand(long, void*)
>
>                                                         300 start
>
>                                                           300
>CSpellCheckingWaste::ObeyCommand(long, void*)

300 start