Stéphane Terreaux wrote:

>Rebuild the search index (through the menu), no
>change (it looks like the command did nothing).

The "File / Database / Update Search Index" menu does not rebuilds the
search index, it updates it, in case background indexing is disabled in
the preferences. To rebuild it, use the appropriate checkbox in the
First Aid dialog (by pressing the command and option keys while
PowerMail is launching).

>When I try to compact
>the search index (through the menu), PM crashes.

If compacting the search index crashes, you need to rebuild it (see above).

>I have compacted again and rebuilt the indexes through the maintenance
>dialog, no change. I have not tried the low level database rebuild.

No change for the hang when sending a message, which is not related to
the search index; but can you now compact the search index successfully
(from the "File / Database / Compact Search Index" menu)?

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

   "I would like to comment that FoxTrot is so far superior to Spotlight
    in every way that without it, I would probably have to go back to
    Windows (shudder) since the ability to search my own files is mission
    critical."
  Steven Merley, FoxTrot Personal Search user

         Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch