On Mon, Sep 14, 2009, at 6:31 PM, emac compellingly composed,
painstakingly penned, then roundfiled a lyrical masterpiece of an
email.... then hastily scribbled

>Hello Jo and company,
>
>Here's another clue - the emails are originating from a Windows 2000 machine.

I followed the suggestion that Ben had from another thread, and checked
Font Book - there were a LOT of duplicate fonts, and I trashed all of
them, and it now works. Yay! I don't know if Snow Leopard installed the
trouble causing fonts (I had many many more duplicates than what would
have come from an OS install, but maybe it was just the specific system
fonts??), or just made use of them differently, but I'm happy now.

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you
later."
                                                                - Mary Bly