Am 19.03.10 00:08, schrieb MB:
> Matthias wrote:
>

>> this implies that your problem is of different nature.
>>
> What imples what?

I understood that you had this issue also with other mail clients.
Maybe I misinterpreted you, sorry for that.

>> My guess would be a corrupt database on the server (which can be big fun).
>> I never had such problems with PM, neither any of my family members who
>> still use PM.
>>
> This is highly unlikely given this has been a problem:
>
> - for me since version 4 at least of PowerMail
> - on 6+ different mail accounts on different domains and servers, with
> different email server applications and different versions of those.
> servers - of which one was my very own mail server -  for an extended
> length of time. Were talking *years* here.
> - on 4-5 different Macs surviving reinstalls of the OS,  the PowerMail
> application, new clean PowerMail databases.
> - this problem doesn't occur if I use another application in parallell,
> it occurs in PowerMail only.

ok, the last thing was the point I misunderstood.

The problem here is that others didn't report any problems like that.
I've also never seen something like that and I was using PM intensively
with some 10 accounts for years and my wife and parents are still using
PM without any problems.

So you say that your PM database gets out of sync with the downloaded mails.

Does this mean PM doesn't recognize the status of a mail as being read?

- I've seen this issue with a recovered database, as the recovering
process was not recovering the status of the mail, so all mails from the
server were marked as unread and PM was retrieving them again. This is
clearly a server issue and happens only with postboxes which were
repaired on the server

or does this mean PM doesn't recognize the status of a mail as being
unread and not retrieving it?

- I've never seen this.

Could you be a bit more clear about what happens?
Can you also post the settings done under Account - Receiving.
There are different possibilities, like leaving copies of retrieved mail
on the server.

You said you've seen that on different boxes of yours, also with a brand
new database. So I guess we can exclude a hardware problem on the client
side (corrupt RAM or HD).

If you have SSH access to the server you could check it also from the
terminal.

> At the moment IMAP and web mail replaces PowerMail doing it properly for
> me. As the problem is mainly affecting my main email account which
> prevents me from being up to date within PowerMail  I'm nearing changing
> that hoping the problem will go away - though this approach hasn't
> helped me in the past - or switching email app, or both possibly. But
> still, I'd rather not. After all, this kind of problem should be solveable.

the problem won't go away by itself magically.
I assume there is either a problem with your special settings or
somewhere else.
You need to find the source of problem, else it can't be solved.

cheers
Matthias