From: Powernet [mailto:powernet-boun...@hpspowernet.org] On Behalf Of LaFrate,
Patrick Joseph via Powernet
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 1:24 PM
To: powernet@hpspowernet.org
Cc: LaFrate, Patrick Joseph
Subject: [External] Re: [Powernet] Quick Benchmarking on ED's

Duke Energy has been transitioning to DMC3000s from DMC2000s since 2015.
Currently four out of seven duke sites are using DMC3000s as their primary WB
SRD and continue to use DMC2000s (version 3 and 4) as area monitors or in their
E-Kits. We plan to get 2 out of our remaining 3 sites on DMC3000s by the end of
2020. CR3 is currently not in our plans to upgrade (presently in safe mode).

We too are experiencing battery consumption problems with our DMC3000s. Not
only have we been experiencing battery consumption problems but have had (2)
DMC3000s go completely dead in the RCA without warning.

Below is a list of what we've been experiencing:

  1.  Duke has purchased ~5000 DMC3000s since 2015.
  2.  There have been 3 versions of the dosimeter.
  3.  Version 1 - manufactured from 2011 to 2015 were made with (4) "super"
capacitors (supercaps).
  4.  Version 2 - (Rev B board) manufactured from mid-2015 to October 2017 were
made with (2) supercaps. These are susceptible of going blank in the field
without warning. They have a high current draw.
  5.  Duke's inventory are version 2 models (>95% of inventory).
  6.  Version 3 - manufactured after October 2017 are not susceptible.
  7.  Mirion Customer Notification out. If anyone would like a copy I can send
you one.
  8.  Two test equipment sets (test box and multi-meter) was provided to Duke
by Mirion. We should be getting a few more in the coming weeks.
  9.  Plan is to repair any DMC3000 that test with >225 µA of current draw.

10.   Duke was the only US plant that have exhibited this phenomenon (turn off
in RCA without warning) but another Mirion utility customer had same issue.

  1.  Currently Mirion has been sent over 200 DMC3000s for repair. We were told
it would take about a two week turn around to get them fixed.
  2.  We have not received any back yet.
  3.  So far, only one of our sites using DMC3000s has tested their entire
inventory.

14.   The Duke Energy Dosimetry Lab's new, never been used, inventory has been
checked and we are seeing about a 40% failure rate but the failure rate seems
to be increasing as we check the newer 3000s just received.
Patrick J. LaFrate, CHP
Manager - Radiation Dosimetry & Records
Duke Energy Dosimetry Laboratory
13339 Hagers Ferry Road
Applied Science Center; Bldg 7405 MC: MG03A2
Huntersville, NC 28078
980-875-3204
919-802-5716 (cell)