Hi Raoul

As you rightly point out it is not easy to identify a link between software faults and identifier naming problems. Some have tried. See, for example,

Arnaoudova et al. Physical and Conceptual Identifier Dispersion: Measures and Relation to Fault Proneness. In Proc. of the Int'l Conf. on Software Maintenance - ERA Track, pages 1-5, 2010. IEEE Computer Society.

or our own work http://oro.open.ac.uk/view/person/sjb792.html

Other research you might want to look at includes the link between poor identifier naming and program comprehension problems, which Brad Myers identifies elsewhere in this thread. As well as issues of overly long names and esoteric typography, concerns have been expressed about the semantic content of identifier names. Deissenboeck and Pizka Concise and Consistent Naming Software Quality Journal, 2006, 14, 261-282 is probably the best known source.

Einar Host's work on the connection between Java identifier method names and method functionality may also be of interest to you. The connection is strong enough for the functionality of methods to be used as an input to name refactoring. (Høst, E. W. & Østvold, B. M. Debugging Method Names Proc. of the 23rd European Conf. on Object-Oriented Programming, Springer-Verlag, 2009, 294-317).

Simon