Raoul,

Wondering if anybody knows of research that tries to get the word out
that naming is important. Or proves that naming isn't important! Maybe

There is of course:
www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/sent792.pdf

Operand names influence operator precedence decisions
http://www.knosof.co.uk/dev-experiment/accu07.html

There was some naming issues involved in:
Classification and grouping into aggregate types
http://www.knosof.co.uk/dev-experiment/accu08.html

nobody makes still little mistakes the way I do. Anyway, there are
things in the programming language world that make me cringe. They
look to me like highway train wrecks, if you'll pardon the metaphor,
sneaking around looking for a place to happen.

Picking two off the top of my head:
Scala: "val" vs. "var". One letter difference?!

At the difference was at the end that has less attention paid to it.
The second part of:
http://www.knosof.co.uk/dev-experiment/accu11.html
has some experimental evidence that differences at the start of
an identifier improve recall performance.  Paper and data should
be up at the end of the week.

Knockout JS: "viewmodel" instead of, gosh, say, just "model"?!

-Mr. Tempest in a Teapot.

and now you get get a phonetic transcription of that:
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2012/03/16/generating-sounds-like-and-accented-words/

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity
in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).