Bruce Metcalf wrote:

> > Suggestion: Perhaps < snip >
>
> I don't like this as much as keeping this list alive, but I could
> probably live with that if I had to.

It's not a matter of either-or.  There's no reason to close this list.  In
fact, subscribed-thread notifications could be posted to this list by this
list's admin (as ably suggested by Anurag), and no one else here would even
have to do anything to see all the notifications on this very list!

- - -- - -

Per Jessen wrote:

> How frequent are the software updates???  I think more than once per day
> is probably too much.

They're not anywhere near that frequent!

It's true that the forum update threads have had roughly daily (over the long
run) postings, but most of those were simply comments/questions/requests, not
announcements of software changes.  The latter are rarely more frequent than
bi-monthly.

Here's a plan:

Establish a special announcement-only forum thread or threads, to which this
list's admin (and other interested parties) would subscribe.  These thread(s)
would consist only of announcements copied from what are now the active forum
update-discussion threads.  That is, when George posts a forum announcement,
just as he does now, in a thread to which other folks later post their
comments/questions/requests, he then copies that announcement post to the
special thread(s).

Only those announcement copies would be allowed in the special thread(s), with
no comments/questions/requests, and those postings would be the ones that
trigger e-mail notifications to this list's admin.

Richard Woods