On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Raymond Fung <raymo...@iohk.com> wrote:
> Can you give us some idea on the amount of data store maintained ? Say,
> number of records in the database, and approx. record size. Also, how
> much would a DB dump occupies ?

Scott is really the best person to answer this question.

The database is 35GB, growing at roughly 1GB per quarter.

I have no idea how much disk space is needed for the many
log files that are generated.

> Hard disk are just so cheap these days, that you can just ignore RAID
> 5 / RAID 6 / RAID 50 at all and just mirror all your hard disks (RAID 1)
> plus hot spare. You may even consider move to SSD (solid state disks),
> which have a much longer life span (and faster access time) than any
> mechanical hard disks.

I'm not an expert on which RAID would be best.

I think SSD disks are too expensive.  We loaded up on memory to keep
lots of DB data in fast access RAM.