> >> Doing things to survive here while I complete my software product
> >> (I'm not going to package/ship it until I'm satisfied it's done).
> >

> You'd never cut it at M$ with that attitude, Bill!  "Ship
> it!"  But then again, perhaps M$ is waiting for Vista satisfaction
before
> shipping......of course, they're ripping out several "key"
> features they headlined initially.  Perhaps you should just rip out
> features in your product and ship it sooner?  Curious---do you have
> competition?  If they make it to market ahead of you, are you pretty
much sunk
> (like happened to Lotus 1-2-3, imo)?

It's coming from the mainframe software world, where utmost precision
has always been the rule, and since money in that world is no object, we
always had QA people testing every tiny detail, doc included. The PC
world broke that stride so everyone can have 'cheap' computers. I jumped
on the bandwagon too, because excitement over having a machine of my own
trumped the trepidation I felt over how the PC world was (not, I should
say) setup.

We all face (growing) competition, no matter what we do, but it's a
really big world out there, and I think there will room for well
written/tested/documented products for a while to come.

We chose a tough road though. The cost of creating quality software
products is a killer, but as long as we love doing what we do, what the
heck, it sure beats a whole lot of other jobs!

Bill