From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of paul brown
Sent: 27 June 2006 15:06
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [WC] Becks!

Quoting Ed Leafe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>       I don't know that I agree. I used to think that, but one of the
> things that make it 'the beautiful game' is the flow of play. And
> there are 4 sets of eyes at professional matches, and 3 sets at most
> others, not just the center. Just last week I was on the line with a
> National ref working the center, and after the play he was running up
> field with his back to me. I saw the striker, who was frustrated at
> losing the ball on the previous posession, violently kick a defender.
> He was sent off at the next stoppage, yet the center never saw it. He
> took my word as to what happened, and gave the direct red.

This is fair enough - it's what the extra officials are for in those
situations.
One the reasons the often given for not using video is that it would slow
the game down, which it would if used all the time, but I would be in favour
of using it in sitations where the play has already stopped and a quick look
at some video from an official could clarify the current incident.

>       What I *would* like to see, at least at the professional level, is a

> video review after the game, with penalties assessed for cases of
> diving. As you said, there is no way someone in the heat of a match
> can see everything and tell for sure if there was a foul or just minor
> contact. If upon review it is clear that the player faked it, they
> should be suspended and/or fined. I'll bet all the actors on the pitch
> soon look to community theatre for their acting, and stick to playing
> football on the pitch if they believed that such crap would be caught
> and punished.

This would certainly be a step in the right direction. In the Premier League
there is a process to review red and yellow cards for genuine errors
(sometimes a red is downgraded to a yellow on appeal for instance). With the
current administration though (ie. Sepp Blatter) I don't see it coming into
the World Cup anytime soon.

Paul