Richard Kaye wrote:
There's one minor exception, imho. It may be useful as a temporary index built at runtime as needed. Throw it away when you don't need it anymore and certainly don't depend on its accuracy for anything other than the current task. Of course, there are many other ways to accomplish a filtered view of data so whether it makes sense to use a unique index is dependent on the situation.

I just pulled that example out of my .... head to give a quick answer this morning. If you only need a temp index, I honestly can't think of anything that couldn't be done better with a SELECT DISTINCT. JMHO.