! -----Original Message-----
! From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
! [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jean Laeremans
! Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:32 PM
! To: ProFox Email List
! Subject: Re: [OT] all we've seen so far is just a prelude
!
! On 8/7/06, Bob Calco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
! >
! > ! On 8/5/06, Bob Calco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
! > ! > The author would make a great ghost writer for John La
! > ! Carre or Robert
! > ! > Ludlum
! > !
! > ! 1. should be John LE Carré
! >
! > Yep, you're right. It was a typo I made in my haste to make
! it out the
! > door in time for our family's week-end get-away.
!
! And i who figured you to be a Tom Clancy kind of guy <s>

Actually I'm a Conrad/Dostoyevski/Melville kind of guy before I'm any
of the above. On the speculative fiction side, I also enjoy Neal
Stephenson, Umberto Eco, and more recently George R. R. Martin.

The problem I have with Clancy is the same as the problem I have with
Tolstoy: they read like USA Today ("wake me up when its over") and
often tell more than they show so to speak. Of course they have so
much to tell that to show it all would make their colossal books even
more colossal. But they are both fine writers in their own way: it's
really a preference thing not really a criticism.

In terms of reading works of philosophy Nietzsche wins hands down over
just about anybody. He's the Rowdy Roddy Piper or Dennis Rodman of
philosophical writers... I've never enjoyed disagreeing with anyone so
much, not even with Bill Arnold. ;)

- Bob

!
! A+