From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Stephen the Cook
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:46 PM
To: 'ProFox Email List'
Subject: RE: [NF] - SQL- Database Replication

Jim Felton <> wrote:
> I'm hoping one of you SQL gurus can help me out.  I have two MS SQL
> 2000 Servers which are used as a Main and Backup server.  The Main is
> online 24X7.  What I need to do is keep the Backup server up to date
> in a real time.  So if I have a Main server failure I can fall back
> to Backup server with all the current information in the database.
> Does anyone have a similar environment and how did you solve the
> problem?

How far apart are the servers?  How is the data stored on the primary
server?

I have done a Cluster, where 2 servers will do the work of one.  One is your
primary and the second is a backup.  Data must be on a SHARED drive (SAN, or
similar type of data storage device).

You will have to make a named instance of SQL instead of just the SeverName.

Say that your server is thrashing in a blown away query.  You can down that
server and the other will pop up to handle all requests.   When you bring it
back up it's running at full bore.  It's an every 90 days issue I have
found.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115