Bill Arnold <> wrote:
>> Stephen, The two server are mounted in the same rack.  They are used
>> for a broadcast TV automation system. The SQL servers hold the
>> Metadata for video recording and playback.
>> The Metadata comes from user input, IP based Internet and satellites
>> feeds, Baseband recordings from tape or live broadcasts, automated
>> video ingestion and automation control.
>>  We aren't looked for two systems updating one database at the same
>> time; we are looking for real time redundancy to protect use from
>> hardware failure.  We are trying to eliminate a singe point of
>> failure and these servers are the last piece to the puzzle.
>

> Have you considered Raid, with hot swappable disks? As I understand
> Raid, that would give you enough redundancy to rebuild failed drives.
> With the drives covered, you could possibly keep some spare parts in
> inventory for other points of failure.

Perfect fit for a cluster.  You just need to have a data source that can be
seen by both servers.  We used a powervault that had both SCSI going to
three raids on the PV.  Data, Logs, and the necessary partition for the
cluster itself.

This is exactly what M$ wrote Win2003 to do and SQL Server 2000 or 2005 fits
right in.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115