I'd like to throw in another aspect to this discussion.

Some may be thinking "2%! What's the big deal."  However, if your web
site is in an ultra competitive industry, now that Google ranks sites on
how fast they load, a 2% decrease in web size may give you an edge over
a competitor that isn't so careful.  You may then appear above him in
the organics.  SEO is a crazy competitive business.