On 3/2/2012 1:51 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 12:45 PM, MB Software Solutions, LLC wrote:
>
>> We're in agreement then.  I could see how it'd be great for those
>> things, but not for coding or doing lots of data-entry.
>
>       But of course, since they aren't targeted for those uses. It's like
> criticizing a racing bicycle because it doesn't fit a family of 4 and luggage
> for a cross-country trip.
>
>       Most people who use computers only use them for email, web browsing,
> digital photos, games, and music. None of these require a traditional
> computer; it is just as easy or in some cases easier on the iPad. You can bet
> that when Grandma's computer finally needs replacing, she's gonna be getting
> an iPad instead.

Ok I'll give you that.  Yes, I agree that Granny gets an iPad when the
old computer dies.  No argument.

My focus though is my future.  I see me programming for businesses in
the future just like I have in the past.  And for the business regular
users who use the computer 40 hrs per week (or 60 if you're in some
other countries), I think a keyboard will always be there.  Ok...I think
some apps might be using barcode scanners and touch-screen verifications
or smaller/time input, but that's my business focus.

On a consumer scale, these devices like iPad can be great.  But I don't
know if I'll ever have a programming need for them.  Perhaps.  Thinking
outside the usual box, I guess a simpler version of FabMate might be
cool on an iPad, using "The Cloud" for its database.  Hmmmmmm.....

I just don't see the keyboard going away in any near period of time, as
I got from Steve's comment earlier.  I may have misunderstood, though.

--
Mike Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC