*  -----Original Message-----
*  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*  [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of mrgmhale
*  Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:24 PM
*  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*  Subject: RE: Revenue model for open source databases (was
*  Re: AnyoneusedSQLExpress?)
*
*  >    I've made a decent living for the last decade and a half off of
*  > FoxPro, but I've never made a single dime off of selling copies of
*  > Fox. How is that any different?
*  >
*
*  I agree with Ed in large part, with a twist.  As with Ed I
*  have been making a nice living from providing VFP based
*  applications to my clients.  I charge nothing for the M$ VFP
*  app, I only distribute .app and .exe files built with VFP
*  and InstallShield.  If they want to tweak the table data,
*  and prefer to license VFP as opposed to using Ed's (free)
*  vRunFox, then they incur that cost themselves.  If they want
*  to buy a VFP license through me, no problem.
*  I do not mark it up even a dime, and make certain they know that.
*
*  In my case my income is almost entirely based on a monthly
*  recurring license fee I charge each client that uses my
*  software solutions.  My clients save and/or make a lot of
*  money using my software, and all I ask is a little bit of
*  their realized benefit in exchange for its continual use.  I
*  have been doing this full time for 5 1/2 years, and part
*  time for 10 years prior to that.  That begs the re-asking of
*  the question, "How is that different from using PostgreSQL,
*  Firebird or MySQL?"  The difference, from where I stand, is
*  that the PostgreSQL, Firebird and MySQL database solutions
*  are far more scalable than a pure VFP table environment,
*  which has begun to become a potential issue for me.  I am
*  fearlessly and gladly migrating to PostgreSQL for the
*  production tables needed for my applications.  I foresee no
*  loss of revenue.  In fact, since I will be able to scale
*  larger, and will be using a database designed to be used
*  over a ThinNet connection, my opportunities will expand.
*
*  Another area to consider is the "Goodwill" aspect of
*  providing solutions on a No Charge basis.  Or, in my case,
*  providing consulting on issues other than my area of
*  responsibility (my application support) on a No Additional
*  Charge basis.  Sure, I burn a lot of time on answering
*  questions totally unrelated to my apps.  But, consider this.
*   I do not generally exchange time for income from my
*  clients.  My apps are automated and extremely stable, so I
*  do almost nothing in the way of putting out fires,
*  explaining things away, etc.  For me I get to continue to
*  build a close and comfortable relationship with my clients -
*  many whom have become good friends.  They trust me, and will
*  sometimes ask me to intercede on their behalf when another
*  computer solution vendor (with unrelated solutions) is
*  having a problem, and my client wants a straight answer.  I
*  don't ding them additionally.  Could I?
*  Yep.  Would my clients pay?  Certainly.  So why not charge
*  them extra?  Deep running Goodwill, and a sincere desire to
*  help my clients do better in their market.  I do almost
*  nothing for them with respect to my own software, get paid
*  well, and when called upon for unrelated matters I
*  cheerfully assist them without digging into their pocketbook
*  - a far cry from what they are used to.
*
*  So, how has that helped me?  When I introduced an additional
*  solution to my clients, it was a slam dunk to tack on more
*  revenue the other year.  I am not chasing down new clients
*  to keep my revenue stream going.  One client has decided to
*  accept a free add-on test application from a large in-house
*  solution provider.  Their add-on is normally a billable
*  feature ($15k up front, $1,500 per month per franchise
*  thereafter for Tech Support)  It is a solution that
*  supposedly fully integrates with their older solutions.  It
*  is largely what my software provided when this vendor failed
*  to offer the services their customers were asking for.  And,
*  they spent about 6 years developing the solution, releasing
*  failed half-effort versions every so often.
*
*  But locally it is being positioned as a free add-on
*  specifically to hurt me (Nothing person, it is business.
*  Recently I hurt that vendor deeply with an as yet
*  incompletely settled billing audit where I found $285,000+
*  in overbillings for a client.  The in-house vendor thinks
*  they are punishing me <g>...).  The dealer called me over to
*  his office, told me of the free add-on, and I kept listening
*  and smiling courteously.  He then told me that although he
*  did not see a need to have both my software and his in-house
*  system vendor's new software, theirs was free, and fully
*  integrated (actually, it isn't.  But that will come out
*  later <g>), but he does not trust them.  He acknowledged I
*  had pulled his nuts out of the fire many times in areas not
*  anywhere near my area of responsibility time and again.
*  Therefore, he wanted to replace my software revenue stream
*  with a consulting retainer revenue stream, and keep my
*  software running in case the in-house vendor solution failed
*  to deliver (which he and I both fully expect to happen).
*  Wow!  Is that what Goodwill buys no-a-days?  Count me in!
*
*  Lest anyone think this is a fluke, a 2nd dealer client out
*  here recently received a similar offering from the same
*  in-house vendor.  That dealer actually had me come in to
*  help negotiate the deal for the new "free"
*  software with a full system upgrade.  They also advised me
*  they wanted to do The Right Thing for all my years of
*  service. invaluable marketing software capabilities, and in
*  appreciation for having me on call 24 x 7.  They asked me
*  what level of retainer I would want for continued consulting
*  service, and also want me to keep my software running "just
*  in case the new stuff screws up".  I told them I would be
*  fine with any level of compensation they would feel
*  comfortable with, and they decided to keep it where my
*  recurring revenue level has been for the past 5 years.
*
*  In both cases it is the relationship that counted more than
*  the app itself.
*  I made myself invaluable to their operations with my
*  applications and service, and earned their trust over the
*  years (hard to do with car dealers).  Had I priced myself in
*  a traditional manner I am certain the outcome would have
*  been far different for me with these two clients.  Hmmm, how
*  many hours do I spend normally each month with my "no
*  additional charge consulting services" for these 2 clients?
*  About 0-5 hours per month.  I had been billing them a mere
*  $400/month for the recurring license.  Not a bad return for
*  Goodwill...
*
*  My apologies to our ProFox members who may be tiring of my
*  ranting every few months about the benefits of charging a
*  relatively small recurring license fee as opposed to a
*  single up-front fee, or pure consulting fees, for solutions
*  they offer to their clients.  And, yes, I call it a
*  Recurring License Fee as opposed to a Support Fee - support
*  comes at no additional charge for licensed clients in my
*  world.  I had the good fortune of being able to tough it out
*  the leaner startup years while building up my monthly
*  recurring revenue stream.  I trusted the market would reward
*  me for a low price & obvious high value impact with many
*  clients, as opposed to competing in a higher price field
*  with The Big Boys on a single shot plus Tech Support billing
*  basis.  For me it worked out.  Realizing my clients far
*  prefer to pay a smaller amount perpetually, and spread the
*  budgeted amount over multiple departments monthly, was one
*  of those hard to catch concepts I managed to hallucinate my
*  way into.  I tried it, hoped for the best, and it worked.
*
*
*  Gil
*