On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Lew Schwartz <lew1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, just got back from a vacation deep enough into the woods of Cape Cod to
> be beyond paved roads.

It's good to hear there's still some of that on the Cape. I spent my
summers down in Plymouth and day-tripping up and down the cape. Great
memories.

Is it time for me to upgrade? Does it matter?

Well, does it matter to you?

We upgraded to N a while ago and appreciate the extra speed. However, there
was some hassle in getting everything to work with the new machines (you'll
likely want to change your WPA2 encryption codes) and you may find that
some devices are old enough that they only use the slower protocols.
Running a wireless access point with both the old and new protocols can
slow down some communications. Generally, it's better to upgrade or replace
the oldest stuff to get the best boost from the speed increase.

Speed is an issue for me
> since I backup my photographic work to my NAS drive each night.

If you have a routine task that moves a LOT of data from one place another
on the network, do yourself a favor and use the wired network for that
portion. 100 Mbit or gigabit wired is literally orders of magnitude faster
than wireless and gets the job done a lot quicker. We have a wired network
of immobile resources: printers, scanners, development servers and cable
run into some of the rooms, and we try to reserve the wireless traffic for
the mobile laptops and tablets.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC