Subject: Re: [NF] Wireless routers LinkSys vs NetGear
From: Lew Schwartz <lew1...@gmail.com>
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Date: 7/3/2013 2:02 PM
Is there an eta for the new technology?

-Lew Schwartz

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Mike Copeland <m...@ggisoft.com> wrote:

Also, not to play the "just wait, something BIG is coming!" but ....just
wait! Something BIG is coming!

There is a new WIFI standard (802.11ac) that is 3x faster (at 1.75
gigabits per second) than the current fastest WIFI protocols. Of course,
you'll have to have compatible hardware on both ends, and it will be sold
at a premium for a while, plus the initial hardware won't be multi-protocol
capable so you might spend enough to get your computer to connect, but not
your pad or smartphone... (There are 26 different WIFI protocol revisions
already!)

In my opinion, N is the best overall combo of speed/price/availability,
for now. And to get better throughput from all over the house, consider
multiple WAPs to overcome barriers like electrical wiring and walls. You
might also have some 'other' wireless hardware, like older model cordless
telephones, that are creating interference and hurting your throughput on
your existing wireless system. To find out, just pull the batteries out of
the wireless devices (if possible) and see if your throughput spikes up.

Mike Copeland