No, he doesn't need to be a domain member.

You simply need the user name and password for the share.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: ProFox [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Ken Dibble
Sent: 06 March 2014 16:21
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: [NF] Can a Mac Join a SAMBA NT Domain or Access a Windows RDP Server?

Hi folks,

I know nothing about Macs or OS X.

We use an NT-style domain emulated by SAMBA.

I have one person who uses his personal Mac laptop here at work (due to his
need to do graphics work). He would like to have access to a mapped drive on
our domain in order to directly share files with co-workers.

The only way I can see to grant him access to the mapped drive is for him to
join the domain. If it's possible, I assume this will require setting up a
separate domain-user profile on the Mac (we don't use roaming profiles).

Or, if there is another way for him to access the mapped drive without joining
the domain, that would be adequate. Perhaps there's a way for him to access our
RDP server and get onto a desktop that would have domain access? As far as I
know, I can only grant access to the RDP server to domain accounts though.

Probably running a Windows OS on a virtual machine on the Mac is not an option
for this guy.

Dropbox for file sharing is of course the fall-back option, but I would prefer
to grant access to the mapped drive on the network if possible.

Thanks.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org