Could you post a copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file, or post the full output of [ testparm -v ], without the brackets, from the command line? The -v option lists everything including defaults.

Try to connect your Mac user to samba using smbclient. I'm running samba locally and can connect to samba from 192.168.1.109 using the following command:

$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.78 --user=leland

After typing the above into a command line, I'm prompted for a password. After entering the password, I can connect.

Make sure you have all necessary samba programs install on the Mac.

Make sure the Mac user has been properly added to the your Linux samba server, and his samba password setup. The following link explains how: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/adding-a-user-to-a-samba-smb-share/

Make sure the samba ports 137, 138, and 139 are not blocked by any firewalls.

Make sure your smb.conf file give read/write permissions to the share, (eg read only = no).

The following link may also help:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/problems.html

Regards,

LelandJ