On 03/12/2014 08:17 AM, Ken Dibble wrote:

Thinking outside the box here:

1) Install a VM in the Mac user(s) computer and run a window guest OS in the VM, Then the Mac users could access the CentOS samba share just like all the other windows users.

That possibility was discussed. Not sure if the machine in question has the guts to work well under that load, but we might try it.

2) Have the Mac OS X user(s) access the shares using NFS. OS X is a variant of the UNIX OS. Most NIX like OS(s) share files over NFS. Both samba clients, (eg Windows), and NFS clients, (eg OS X, Linus, and UNIX) can access the share simultaneously with no problem. Do a search on setting up a CentOS NFS server and setting up a Mac OS X NFS client.
NFS must be running on both the client and the server.

This needs to be the same share on the same file server that everybody in the domain accesses. That doesn't sound like what I need.

Yes. It would be the same directory whether it's being accessed locally as a native ext3 or ext4 directory, being shared with remote window clients using samba, or being share remotely with other OS(s) via NFS clients. All of these services and protocols could be servicing the same directory on the CentOS computer simultaneously.

3 Move the info to a CentOS Apache Web Server. Have the info in a web directory protected by a .htaccess password. Then just about anyone could access the info with the .htaccess password, regardless of their computer or OS type.

People don't like having to enter passwords all the time. Another reason for using a domain.

People especially need to enter a valid username and password when they are members of a Domain. The PDC and BDC(s) check for proper authentication on the CentOS samba share; because, your CentOS samba share is a member of the Domain, ( security = domain ). I believe, however, that your users don't need to enter a valid username and password; because, you have marked the share named "Public" as [ public = yes ]. I would expect that you wouldn't even need to enter a new Linux username and password for each user accessing the public share. This avoids the problem of maintaining hundreds of usernames and password, but it does not go without sacrifices in other areas.

The below link might help:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch09.html

Is it possible for a Mac to access a Windows RDP server? I have one of those set up. I could give the user access to that, from which he can get to the /Public share on SPOCK.

Yes, this appears to be another option you could explore:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8431/microsoft-remote-desktop

Regards,

LelandJ

Thank you very much for sticking with this.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org