On 05/09/2014 05:49 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> I have a customer that uses a cloud application that I am converting
> to my application.  When we requested they export the data they said
> a) they were not able to give me file structures (I'm okay with this,
> though) and b) it would cost development time for them to build an
> export.
>
> I asked them, who owns the data and they said the customer.
>
> Should a customer have to pay to get their data if they want to switch
> applications?  It is not in any agreement that they agreed to pay for
> this.
>
> What do you think about that?

I think it's a really good question. You say, "It is not in any
agreement that they agreed to pay for this." and I'd respond that it was
not a feature they were promised.

The service provider contracted with your customer to provide their
services: input, data manipulation, reporting. It's not necessarily in
their business interests, looked at narrowly, to provide an easy way for
people to take their data and leave. In the larger view of being a good
provider, such facilities make sense. When I worked at BugCentral.com
with Harold Chattaway, a full export was a feature we pointed out to the
customers, to assure them that they were not locked in, and that was a
feature we got positive feedback on: clients could keep their own
backups, and download their data and integrate it in with their own
systems.

Similarly, I use a number of different web sites for tracking my
(feeble) athletic attempts, and all of them have import/export
facilities, and all of them are lacking in one aspect or another: limits
of data, fields excluded, only export or only import, etc. This seems to
be an under-appreciated, under-developed feature. As I typically am a
no-cost user of these systems, it's hard to feel I have anything to
complain about.

I think your customer is going to need to:

1. Pay the service provider for the export.
2. Pay you or someone else to screen-scrape the old system.
3. Hire someone to re-key all of the data.

If I were them, I'd get quotes for all three of the options, and use the
estimates of #2 and #3 to try to negotiate down the estimated cost of
#1, and then choose the cheapest/fastest/optimal choice.

--
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC    http://www.tedroche.com/