I changed over to "CALCULATE MIN(BegStamp), MAX(EndStamp) FOR selected
TO..." instead of the  "SELECT Min(BegStamp), MAX(EndStamp) FROM Inputs
WHERE selected..."  All my unexpected response problems went away.
 My tentative conclusion: the SELECT does something that messes with the
way the table gets updated from the grid.

I now have a filter working with the grid as well.  It turns out I was able
to setup a single filter that allows all records that meet the datetime
range stored in the form variables. My initial plan was to change the
filter on the fly but when I had some initial problems with that approach I
realized that the logic can all be in the filter.

Thanks again everyone,

Joe