Thanks to everyone that offered help and suggestions. With combination of your
ideas, I was able to get this working like I wanted. In case there are others
who like me haven't taken the time to work this out here's exactly what I did:

1) Created a shortcut to VFP9.exe in my project folder.

2) Edited the shortcut to add "-C.\CONFIG.FPW" (without quotes) to the end of
the target line to force VFP to use the CONFIG.fpw in the current directory.

3) Edit the Config.FPW to add "DEFAULT = x:\path\to\project\file" (without
quotes) NOTE: I have tested without this line and it still changes the default
folder to the correct location so this is probably unnecessary, but it is an
explicit path reference.

4) Edit the Config.FPW to add 'COMMAND = MODIFY PROJECT "project.pjx"' (without
single quotes) to open the project file. I didn't use the startup option
because I'm using Thor and I didn't want to overwrite the startup instruction
to load Thor. This way they coexist thor opens first and then my project file.

All of this emulates what I get when I double-click on a .pjx file AND it gets
me the ability to open multiple projects at the same time. This is one of those
things I've thought should be possible, but just hadn't taken the time to work
it all out.

Thanks for the help everyone! All things considered it was definitely worth the
time to resolve these issues!

PS: I was also able to retro fit this start up process to VFP6 on the same
computer to prevent VFP9 from opening when I really intended for VFP6 to open.
This process also solve the problem of VFP6 trying to open the .pjx as an
executable file. The biggest difference I found on VFP6 is that I had to use
full path names in the Config.fpw file rather than '.' or relative paths for
the default and command lines.

Paul H. Tarver
Tarver Program Consultants, Inc.
Email: p...@tpcqpc.com