On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Paul Hemans <paul_hem...@laberg.com.au> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a utility that will take a vfp8 report .frx / .frt and
> convert it into some form of html template? To clarify, I am not looking to
> run a vfp report and have it output in html.

However, if you run all of your VFP reports and have it output to
HTML, you will have the skeleton of an HTML template. You'll "just"
need to replace the specific data with whatever placeholder/expression
your new report engine uses.

> We need to take a number of fairly simple reports and permanently move them
> to html. I expect to have to do some editing to clean them up.

When you say, "a number" do you mean a single digit or four digits, or
something in between? The level of effort required might help
understand how much work you're willing to do to avoid the gruntwork
of manual conversion.

> The application currently outputs pdfs from frx and they are presented on
> the web. However, to better support i18n the database is moving to
> Postgres, and the code to JS, that leaves a problem with the reports.

Since you're going to PostgreSQL and JavaScript, which implies
Unicode, I would avoid VFP and Window's clunky code page and
double-byte character solutions, as they just make a mess.

Has your dev team selected a JS reporting engine? This will really
guide what you need to create. If you've decided to do it yourself,...