At 10:45 AM 11/28/2006 -0500, Ted Roche wrote:
>On 11/28/06, Charlie Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm.... but in writing this, I realize the source may not be openable
> > without having the OCX controls installed.... So maybe I'll need to include
> > 2 copies - 1 that has the OCX components on the form(s), another that
> doesn't
> >

>Charlie: you might want to take a look to see if there's a version of
>wget or curl you could use to transfer the files. That could give you
>some well-tested and robust code and eliminate the OCX dependency.

But then the dependency would be on external .exe's correct? IIRC wget is
more for background processes like keeping FTP mirrors in sync, etc. In our
design, doing the download is a specific, directed request, and only for
something that needs updating. Note that the file being downloaded does not
remain: it is a .zip file - it's contents are extracted and it is deleted.

I've never been really liked trying to integrate external .exe's with my
systems. The results have generally looked and functioned in a pretty
kludgy manner. This is probably more a limitation of Windows - the little
I've done with in on Linux seems to look and work much better.

Lastly, this one particular client is a MS-head-shop. It has been pretty
tough keeping VFP going with these guys. So I doubt that I could get past
stage 1 with anything else non-MS.

We don't really have any problems with using the OCXs. They do need to do
the 1-time install, but things are good to go after that.

If MS's OS wasn't so crappy, the whole 'lockdown' thing wouldn't be an
issue. It's sort of a nice reminder that people shouldn't be using Windows
anymore.

:-)

-Charlie