In all the years of writing apps have you ever had a talented user who told
you what they wanted to be even close to what they ended up with?

That being said, a rewrite allows the developer to "fix" the poor decisions
and tweaks to fix them.  If you had that commitment from the champion why
not get it off the desktop and make it contemporary to apps in the 2020
time frame?  That could be cloud, web, tablet/phone,  as well as PC.  Those
may be what the user wants in the re-write anyway.