I don't agree -- we can agree to disagree that "that understanding can
be quantified and certified and should be."  You CAN'T QUANTIFY the
artistic side of anything!  If you can't quantify it, you can't
reasonably "certify" it.

I guess I'm "old school".  I come from the time when there was no
"understanding of media and methods".  There were these things called
computers made out of lots of vacuum tubes and we had to learn to
rigorously talk their language (except somewhat for Bouroughs :-) ) and
we had to translate real world needs into these bizarre, literal
language structures with no schematic for how to do so (except the IF
statement -- that's a really good one!).

So we "winged it".

I am also a musician.  "certifying" musicians is total bullshit.  You
can be TRAINED, a little, to use the tools of the art but, if one is
really good, one can shake off most of that crap and begin to be an artist.

I'm glad I no longer make my "living" in computers 'cause folks, it's
getting to be way too regimented and structured for my artist's taste...

Certify away!!

Cheers;