On Jan 22, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Ricardo Aráoz wrote:

> But of course. What's more. I never understood why do christians
> get so
> angry when someone kills their children. After all they are innocent,
> they'll go straight to heaven. And this wonderful killer who
> sacrifices
> his immortal soul in order to send all those kids straight to heaven
> should be treated right and with respect and thankfulness. Or don't
> you
> believe in heaven? Maybe you'll tell me he should be punished for
> taking
> what god has granted. But that's god's business, I think he's
> resourceful enough to manage without you. You on the other hand,
> should
> be thankful with the killer for sending your babies to heaven.

        When I got married, it was a Catholic ceremony, since both my wife's
family and mine are largely Catholic. A requirement for getting
married in a Catholic church is attending a "pre-Cana" workshop,
which is supposed to give you the tools for a successful Catholic
marriage. On the subject of children, it was stressed repeatedly that
once you have a child, your highest purpose in life was to ensure
that that child's soul went to heaven. Didn't matter if they became a
doctor, a President, or anything else; if their soul was lost, you
had failed as a parent.

        Recalling my catechism from my childhood, I knew that baptized
babies who died before the age of 7 were supposed to go straight to
heaven, as they didn't have the capacity to distinguish right from
wrong until that age, so they couldn't have sinned. It seemed logical
at that point that the best solution was to have a kid, get it
baptized, and then kill it. You might go to hell, but all those
babies would be enjoying eternal happiness, thanks to you. Guess
that's what happens when you add logic to matters of faith.  ;-)

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com