At 10:30 AM 1/23/2007 -0500, Ed Leafe wrote:
> > You do good works, help others, etc. That makes you a 'good person'
> > IMO. And, in fact, if I met you on the street and saw what you do for
> > others and  actually heard you refer to Christ in a positive light, I may
> > indeed say I  think you are a Christian if I were asked. But then if
> I'd have
> > seen your other statements about being an atheist, etc, I'd have to say
> at
> > that point you were not a Christian.
>
>         And thus you are perfectly content to love and worship a being who
>would take someone like me and torture them for all eternity? Wow, if
>that's what your view of Christianity involves, I'm sure glad I'm not
>a part of it.

I'm not sure how we switched over to this area of discussion, but I'll try
to respond.

First, I'm not "content". It concerns me that there are so many
non-believers in the world. I pray about it a lot. And I don't worship Him
because He is going to torture unbelievers, I worship Him because He was
gracious enough to offer a way to salvation by sacrificing of Himself.

As for the torture (in Hell I presume you mean), I don't believe God will
be the one there with a pitchfork. I'm actually not sure what form of
'pain' will be there. I think the traditional view is fire and brimstone,
but I'm not sure that's a good description. I think the most pain, by far,
will be emotional anguish for the person realizing that they are going to
be eternally separated from God.

I don't want anyone to go to Hell. Sometimes I may mouth off about some
specific person deserving to go to Hell, but if I would sit and think about
it for a while, I would eventually take it back. In the end, I'm not the
one that controls where a person goes after death. I have faith that God
will do what is right and just. He deals with each person individually at
some point in their life, and how they respond determines their future.

Some things in Biblical teaching don't sound 'fair' to me. But I will
submit my sense of fairness to God's, whereas you reject God's existence
because he doesn't fit your sense of logic. In some ways I hope you're
atheistic view is right because that would mean everyone simply goes off
into non-existence and nothingness. No pain, no feeling, nothing. But in my
heart and mind I feel God exists and there are eternal consequences of
accepting Him or not.

-Charlie