Dave,

> It's a hospital "superbug" that basically is resistant to
> antibiotics so it kills you

We were told it was MRSA, but it is still a superbug. Steve got it after the
flesh eating bacteria nearly killed him. He spent 7 weeks on a very strong
IV antibiotic before it was finally killed. Now he's much more vulnerable
than other people to infection, and that's why he kept getting pneumonia.
His immune system was compromised from the 1-2 punch of flesh eating
bacteria and then the hospital superbug.

They reserve certain 'super' antibiotics just for use with these killer
infections in the hopes that they can keep bacteria from becoming too
resistant to them. Still, managing 7 weeks of a huge bag of IV medication
dumped into a PIC line that went straight into Steve's aorta 1" from his
heart was pretty scary.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripherally_inserted_central_catheter> These
superbugs are nothing to laugh at.

And it didn't help that he had an open heart surgery before it all happened,
and that he was an asthmatic. This has been quite a ride over the last
decade or so with his fragile immune system, fragile lungs, and fragile
heart. The years since 2000 have been especially challenging.

The house will be done in about 3 months, though, and I have a new contract
with an old client. We keep on keeping on. The new house is at a 2100 foot
elevation in a spot with clean air, and we have a good air filtration system
going into the house. Plus Steve is on an oxygen concentrator full time now.
He has COPD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPD>.

But he is OK for now and will be OK for some time to come as long as he is
well taken care of. He is no longer in any immediate danger of death, and
for that I am grateful.

Kristyne McDaniel
http://www.mcstyles.com
http://www.emryldlife.com