> I don't know about the rest of what he says, not having tried it yet, but:

I have been waiting for VPC 2007 to come out of beta (I heard from a
colleague this morning it is now released, I have not checked).  But an
associate of mine went to a M$ sponsored seminar yesterday in Rochester, NY,
and called me this morning with all the crapola being positioned as
beneficial for all PC users by M$.  Several of her questions re: migrating
files with security settings from one HDD to another without losing said
security settings were pooh-poohed, as were several other questions by she
and several other folks amongst the almost 400 attendees.  Although the
presenters were linguistically polite, she told me the majority of answers
were condescending (now, now, little girl, it really is good for you to not
get a clear answer as that would involve deep complexities IN A ROOM FULL OF
IT PROFESSIONALS!).  And the matter of Vista being so protected it will not
run without security warnings popping up, hence the practical need to
disable said protections, was asked about.  The answer was more political
than technical, it was never answered, just danced around.  For folks with
compatibility issues the stock answer was to "simply" use VPC with an
earlier OS (XP, 2000 Pro)!   I wish I had gone.

So, once I do get VPC 2007, and install Vista Ultimate, and provide 1.5Gb
RAM to the VPC session, I will start testing my VFP and ProComm apps.  And,
if indeed there are issues I will need to see what happens when I compile
them in VFP9 (I code in VFP9, but compile in VFP7).  If they run okay then I
guess I am going to have to force a run-time update from VFP7 to VFP9 on my
End Users, or have a Vista and non-Vista version for folks.  And, of course,
if I can't get VFP compiled versions to run I will need to have my clients
use VPC, with the additional RAM of course.  Craziness.

Oh, in the Register article Stephen Russell sent to us (see below), did
y'all catch the deal where FireFox can't be made the default browser?  Very
clever.  M$ allows other browsers to be used (maybe <g>), but only IE7 can
be the default?  Talk about slicing hairs...  Technically compliant with the
DOJ ruling, but virtually neutering FireFox, Opera, etc. from getting a firm
displacement foothold in our browsing experience regardless of what the End
User wants to use for a default browser.  I hope I find this guy is all
wrong in his findings, and my one colleague overstated her concerns after
attending the M$ Vista seminar.

Okay, back to other stuff...

Gil