I have no kids, so I am always completely shocked when
I hear things

1.  There are no simple birthday parties anymore.  I
remember having birthday parties outside with a BBQ
and picnic tables.  Now every kid's birthday party is
a 25-kid extravaganza.  Chucky cheese, Build a bear,
25 to 50 bucks a kid.  Crazy!

2.  As a kid, my only planned activity was Little
League, everything else was inside the school.  Every
day during the summer we chose up sides and had a
baseball game.  There were none of the incredible
amounts of forced activities that these kids endure
today.   When does a kid have time to be a kid?
Soccer, Karate, Dance, gymnastics, Little League, Boy
Scouts, Girl Scouts.  Their schedules exhaust me just
looking at them.

I don't see gangs of kids playing baseball or kickball
anymore.  I guess everything has to be a playdate.

3.  Kids have designer pocketbooks, designer clothes,
cell phones, computers, video games and all without
having to do anything for it.

4.  Kids don't get jobs.   I remember having to pull
strings to get a $4.10 / hr job during the summer
after my HS graduation.  Now the labor force is taken
up by illegal immigrants because the HS kids don't
need to work.

5.  Many kids now get brand new cars when they start
driving.  In my cousin's development you see 17 yo
kids driving brand new BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches.

6.  The senior prom now involves limo sines, $2000
dresses, and weekends in the hamptons.

7.  We had interns coming into the Army for the
summer.  One kid used to sleep at his desk.  Could you
imagine sleeping at your desk?

We have over-indulged our kids to a point where
they're going to be useless.

--- Stephen the Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>