Vince:
The only plus to the punch card machine was that it made incredible confetti!
At the end of the session I would dump the
tiny punches into a bag and take them to the football game at Carter Stadium
and toss it in the air when the Wolfpack
scored. Good stuff!
I have a Moore forms ruler that I still use and it has a *card scale* on it. It
appears to be 140 cards per inch. The
forms ruler has all kinds of great scales on it...1/10", tractor perf template,
metric, green bar punch template, 1/12
and 1/6" and a regular 1/16" scale. A prized possession for sure!
Having a terminal meant you could easily play Star Trek! Every play that in
Fortran? It could be done with cards but not
much fun waiting for the turn-around!
Regards,

Jack