>> To be truthful I have always thought that the contribution of
>> Fortran was overstated, certainly as regards commercial
>> computing (input/output? - Do you mean the teletype?;
>> Permanent storage? - why would you need that - the
>> program types out the anwer at the end!)
>
>       The fact that it was the first non-Assembler-level language was
> pretty significant, IMO.

IIRC (not having read the obit yet), Backus pretty much put together
Fortran as a hack. After it took off in all its inelegance, he wanted
to put together a proper high-level language and got the leading
computer scientists of the time to create a BNF spec for Algol.
Despite all this propriety, Algol never achieved the success that
Fortran did.

-Jerry Wolper
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]