To All,
I’m setting up a small network with an ADSL Modem/Router (IP address
192.168.0.2), 1 x Win 2K Server (IP address 192.168.0.1) running active
Directory and a number of Win 2K clients, each client using DHCP from the
Server to get an IP address in the range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150.

In any previous networks I’ve always used the ROUTER to assign dynamic IP
addresses to the clients with the server still having a fixed address with
no problems whatsoever but I can’t seem to work out the best/easiest way to
configure the client machines with regards to Gateways/DNS Server etc when
using the Server as a DHCP source.

Using my preferred method of DHCP on the router means that I can leave the
“obtain IP Address automatically” setting along with forgetting about the
Default Gateway and DNS Server settings on the clients but this situation is
different and I’m just a little stumped at present.

What would your suggestions be for settings of Gateway, DNS
Primary/secondary on the server and workstations if I HAVE to use DHCP on
the server as opposed to on the router?

I’m sure I’m being really stupid here in missing something out as the DHCP
from the server is fine in that I can see the whole network from the
workstations but cannot see the Internet unless I put in a DNS setting of
192.168.0.2 and/or a gateway of 192.168.0.2 which then seems to screw up the
local networking. Even worse some workstations seem to work intermittently
with one of the previous Gateway/DNS settings.

Do I perhaps have to leave the terminals as automatic (no settings) and
modify the server in some way perhaps?

Dave Crozier

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.