Alan Bourke wrote:
> MB Software Solutions wrote:
>
>> Can you explain that, what you mean when you say "takes away from" ??
>> Are you saying that it's a stark difference in the thought used in
>> ASP/ASP.NET designs?
>>

> Absolutely. You have a Windows (or Linux or whatever) desktop app with a
> 'Submit' button for saving changes. User clicks it, the changes are
> committed. They can't double click it and submit twice.
>
> A web app is stateless, although you get lots of things like cookies and
> session state to give the illusion of being stateful. So you have a
> 'Submit' button that the user sees in their browser, they click it and
> it causes a postback to the server and the database update happens. But
> there's nothing to stop the user double-clicking it and submitting
> twice. You can disable the button with Javascript, but that means all
> users have to have Javascript available and turned on. You can use
> roundabout methods with session state, cookies and the like to stop it
> but it's very tricky to get a solution that works for all combinations
> of browsers and so on.
>
> Some things like this that are no-brainers in desktop apps are absolute
> nightmares in a web app, mainly due to their statelessness.

Thanks for that clarification, Alan.  Your comments about no-brainers
being nightmares in web vs. desktop are a big reason I haven't yet took
the plunge into the browser app world.  I understand stateless, but the
implementation (at least up to recently) seemed to be a real PITA for
developing web apps.  I'm sure I'm wrong on that given the number of web
app developers.

--
Michael J. Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC